Waverton is a vibrant and popular village with a strong sense of community.
Families living in Waverton enjoy a busy calendar of community activities with events at the village hall, youth football club fixtures and an annual village fete. Villagers even have their own private members’ club – the Waverton Institute. The Eaton Estate manages part of the village known as 'Old Waverton'.
Old Waverton has a population of approximately 200 and 65 properties.
Amenities and features
Waverton has a wide range of amenities and features for residents including a local pub, village hall, shop and Post Office. It is home to a popular outdoor family adventure course called The Crocky Trail.
Waverton County Primary School has 200 pupils and was judged ‘good’ in its latest Ofsted report.
St Peter’s is the parish church and can trace its origins back more than 900 years. Built from local red sandstone it has evolved over the centuries with extensive repairs and renovations taking place during the 19th century.
The Shropshire Union Canal runs through the village with a towpath perfect for walking and cycling along.
The village hall hosts a doctors’ surgery, a nursery, village Brownies group, badminton and village choir.
The family-run Waverton Village Store and Post Office is open six days a week.
The Black Dog pub, on the outskirts of the village, dates back to the 1700s. An alternative watering hole is the Waverton Institute which has a bar, bowling green, golf society and snooker tables.
Waverton has a regularly updated website to keep locals up to date on what’s going on in the village.
Visit the village website here.
Waverton had several slight name changes over the centuries. The village features in the Domesday Book as ‘Wavreton’ but by 1100 it was known as ‘Wauerton’ and just 50 years later, ‘Wauereton’. However the village name of Waverton has been in use since 1260 .
The village has had two railway stations over the years, both of which are now closed, which linked Waverton with Crewe, Chester, Holyhead and London.