Eaton Chapel is generally only used by the Grosvenor family for private services but charities may apply to hold a carol concert in the month of December. Eight dates for carol concerts are available each year and charities may write to Her Grace, The Duchess of Westminster to request that they might be considered for one of these dates. Demand for these dates is high and applications are put before Her Grace in May of each year.
Charities are written to in early summer advising them if their application has been successful.
The construction of Eaton Chapel was begun in 1869, the architect Sir Alfred Waterhouse’s design including an ante-chapel and vestry, a nave and chancel terminated with a western apse. The organ was built by Charles Whitley of Chester in 1870-71 and remains in perfect working order.
From the ante-chapel there is a turret staircase leading to the clock-tower which houses a peal of twenty-eight bells cast by Chavalier Severian Van Aerschodt of Louvain, the largest weighing 50cwt. The carillon plays thirty-one tunes with each musical barrel studded with thousands of brass pins and measuring 10 inches in diameter. The clock itself was manufactured by Messrs. Gillett of Croydon in Surrey and has four faces composed of vitreous mosaic each of which measures 9’8” inches in diameter.